Verbs and Agreement: How Making the Right Choices Can Help Boost Your SEO
As a copy editor, one of your most important tasks is to ensure that every word in your content is optimized for SEO. This includes understanding how verbs and agreement work together to help your content rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). In this article, we`ll go over the basics of verbs and agreement and show you how you can use them to your advantage in your SEO efforts.
What Is Verb Agreement?
Verb agreement refers to the way in which a verb agrees with its subject in terms of tense and number. In other words, the form of the verb changes depending on whether the subject is singular or plural, and whether the action is taking place in the past, present, or future.
For example, consider the following sentences:
– The dog chases the cat.
– The dogs chase the cats.
In the first sentence, the subject (dog) is singular, so the verb (chases) is also singular. In the second sentence, the subject (dogs) is plural, so the verb (chase) is also plural. This is an example of verb agreement in action.
Why Is Verb Agreement Important for SEO?
When it comes to SEO, verb agreement is important for several reasons. First, search engines rely on context clues to understand the meaning of your content. If your verbs don`t agree with the subject, it can confuse search engines and make it harder for them to understand what your content is about.
Second, errors in verb agreement can make your content appear less professional and polished. This can be a turnoff for readers and reduce the amount of time they spend on your website.
Finally, correct verb agreement can help your content appear more authoritative and trustworthy in the eyes of both search engines and readers. When your content is well-written and error-free, it signals to search engines that you`re a credible source of information.
Tips for Using Verbs and Agreement to Boost SEO
Now that you understand the importance of verb agreement for SEO, let`s go over some tips for using it to your advantage.
1. Match your verb tense to the subject. This is the most basic rule of verb agreement. Make sure that your verb matches the tense of your subject.
2. Be consistent with your verb agreement. Stick to one tense throughout your content and be consistent with your use of singular and plural subjects.
3. Avoid passive voice. In general, active voice is better for SEO than passive voice. Instead of saying “The ball was thrown by the boy,” say “The boy threw the ball.” This makes your content more engaging and easier for search engines to understand.
4. Use modifiers to clarify your meaning. If your subject is a collective noun (like “team” or “group”), use modifiers like “some” or “all” to clarify whether the verb should be singular or plural. For example, “Some of the team is injured” is correct, while “Some of the team are injured” is incorrect.
5. Proofread your content carefully. Even small errors in verb agreement can have a big impact on your SEO. Make sure to proofread your content carefully to catch any mistakes.
Verb agreement is a critical component of SEO-friendly content. By understanding the basics of verb agreement and following these tips, you can help your content appear more authoritative, trustworthy, and polished in the eyes of both search engines and readers. So make sure to pay attention to your verbs, and watch your SEO rankings soar!